Saturday, October 04, 2008

Of Scenes and Movies - Part I

Well I just saw this program on TV which mentioned the top ten scenes which one must see. Of course that got me thinking. Most people would have seen these nice scenes. What we need is a list of scenes which most people have not seen till now but should see. Of course given my ability to watch anything and I do mean anything on TV , I have decided to share my immense knowledge in this field. So without further ado , here is the list of scenes which you definitely have not seen and the reasons why you should see them
Super honourable mention - Gunda - I know i mentioned scenes but it is hard to pick a single scene from this classic. The most apt description of the movie i have heard is that there are only two type of people in this world- those who have seen Gunda and those who will see Gunda. The movie is the Indian adaptation of Kill Bill with possibly the most mesmerising cast of villains ever. Given that there are so many villains , the director ensures that you do not forget any of the characters. The villains proceed to give introductory sentences with which rhyme with the contemporary and well thought out names. Sample the well written dialogues
Lambu Atta – “Deta hoon maut ka chaanta”
Bulla – “Sab karta hoon khullam khulla”
Pote – “Jo apne baap ke bhi nahi hote”
Ibu Hatela – “Maa meri chudail ki beti, Baap shaitan ka chela, Kyon? Khaayega Kela?”
Every scene and I really mean every scene is an instant classic. After killing Bulla and thus bringing an end to the greatest movie ever made , Mithun says "Tera naam hai Bulla. Maut ke baad bhi reh jaayega tera mooh khulla. Yaaeeeessh". I am sure most people think I am exaggerating. Fear not - Some great people have loaded the entire movie on the web . Take a look and believe me , you will not regret it.

Gunda

Singing Superheroes - Currently superheroes are the in thing. With Drona (which I hope will contribute greatly to many such similar posts in the future), I hear people talking about how finally in India the superhero craze has started. Well I would like to inform people that there were many forward looking and intelligent directors in India who had understood the popularity of this genre long ago. In the late eighties / early nineties came a movie that has changed the way people the world over view superheroes. The movie in case would be a social family drama called Dariya Dil . Most of you would be wondering where superheroes would be figuring in a family drama but then this is why we watch hindi movies. The director well aware of the soaring popularity of superheroes has put in a song where the hero and heroine for no reason whatsoever decide to don super hero outfits and start dancing on an imaginary glass plate conviniently fitted in the sky. I kid you not. The song begins with spectacular special effects where Govinda and Kimi Katkar dressed as Superman and Spiderwoman seem to be lying flat in the sky (yes i wrote in the sky) and the city of Mumbai keeps revolving around them What I would also like to mention is the directors attention to detail. I don't think there is a super heroine who dons Spiderman's outfit without the mask and thus while Kimi proudly croons "Tu mera Superman" , all poor Govinda can say is "Tu meri Mary". Of course that does get me thinking -why Mary - Why not Lois ? or Lana ? or something else for Christs sake...
Superman Mania

Animal Lover - This scene is one of my favourite ones. I remember someone sending it to me in office and I almost fell off my chair due to the sheer greatness of the scene. The scene begins with an amazing sequence where a cheetah is chasing a deer. However just when u think that the deer will be dead meat (literally) , you see a portly young(?) man entering the frame. The PYM then proceeds to overtake the cheetah , pick up the deer and run out of the frame and no I am not exaggarating. The scene unfolds in front of your eyes in just the manner described above.
Save the animals

The man who defied power - Captain Vijaykanth (of above PYM Fame) - Electricity - Shock -Narasimha -Nuff said .....
Mr. Power
Well i hope you enjoyed these scenes. I do have some more which I will post in a subsequent post. Do drop in comments in case you liked this.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Quite funny Mr Mehra...They managed to make me laugh even though i have heard each one of them :-))

Anonymous said...

Awesome Mr. Mehra.

And I really admire your creative abilities to bring alive the magic of TV, especially GUNDA.

Keep up the spirit and I guess I am also now inspired (thanks to you) to start writing my blog.

Till Later

Anonymous said...

Mr Mehra...... great stuff..... been laughing out aloud at wrk!!!! but i really wanna watch Gunda now.......... !!!!very well written.... like Navo i too feel damn inspired by you!!!

Anonymous said...

Mr Mehra...... great stuff..... been laughing out aloud at wrk!!!! but i really wanna watch Gunda now.......... !!!!very well written.... like Navo i too feel damn inspired by you!!!

Anonymous said...

Mr Mehra...... great stuff..... been laughing out aloud at wrk!!!! but i really wanna watch Gunda now.......... !!!!very well written.... like Navo i too feel damn inspired by you!!!